twin studies

musings on life as an identical twin plus meandering into current events and other topics

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

my twin and I becoming even more each other's family

My parents are moving to Nebraska in about 10 days. They sold their house in Leonia NJ and are building a new one in Crawford, NE - butte country in the NW corner of the state, where Crazy Horse was murdered and lots of the old West characters roamed and caused trouble. Why are they moving there? To live near my mom's brother and his wife, Cassie. Cassie's family is from Crawford - one of the first settlers there was a Moody. They own thousands of acres of grassland where cattle graze and prairie dogs dig. Anyway, it's at a high elevation and quite dry, so my mom feels physically much better than here at sea level (she has rheumatoid arthritis and asthma).

So our ties are ending to the town we grew up in (from age 7) and the house we called home for 36 years. Bittersweet indeed. Glad they're having an adventure to help them stay young and engaged. Sad they won't be around. And sad to end a chapter of life. And glad to have a new place to visit! It really is beautiful.

They'll also be close to my brother John, whose family lives in the mountains west of Denver. They are in the process of adopting a baby who was born to methamphetamine addicts, and realizing there may be some serious emotional issues with the baby, perhaps autism. So it will be good for them to have my parents closer. And for that I am very glad. My parents were so vital to my sister and brother-in-law's stability after David died, as well as mine, my brother Ron & his family, and little Julia (who turns 6 on March 5).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home